This is one of my favorite plant based brekkies that I feed my minions… Buckwheat Hot Cereal cooked in Cinnamon infused Almond Milk.
Buckwheat is a terrific alternative to oats in the morning. An overnight soak of the groats (the buckwheat “seeds”), allows the anti-nutrients (phytic acid), to break down, providing a more nutritious and easier to digest grain. I discuss a bit more about this soaking process of grains and pseudo grains here. Despite its name, buckwheat is NOT wheat and therefore is gluten free! It is actually a seed. A terrific source of plant based protein and complex carbs, buckwheat provides slow releasing and sustainable energy so you will feel fuel and satiated longer. It is rich in fiber, and abundant in cancer-fighting antioxidants. The best part, however, it the that buckwheat contains high levels of B Vitamins, which help to calm the mind and alleviate anxiety … perfect for Monday morning pre school breakfast!
You can use any plant milk you desire and the maca is optional, though, I ‘m a big fan (I use this adaptogen in so many of my recipes).
I purchase the multi pack of Groats from Bob’s Red Mill Organic Gluten Free Buckwheat Groats, 16 Ounce (Pack of 4)
I like to make a large batch of this and have it keep for the next day, using different toppings to mix it up.
I hope you enjoy this!
- 2 cups buckwheat groats (soaked overnight)
- 2 dates, pitted
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup plant based milk (I used almond milk but LOVE with coconut milk)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Optional: 1 tsp maca
- Drizzle of maple syrup
- Toppings: fresh fruit, hemp seeds, freeze dried fruit, cacao nibs, more milk..
- In a glass bowl, soak grains overnight, by covering with cold, filtered water.
- Rinse the grains completely.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine soaked groats with dates. Blitz until thick but still slightly chunky.
- Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Add the cinnamon and optional maca.
- Add the groats/date mixture and combine.
- Stir and cook on medium low for approx 10 mins, stirring often.
- If you like your cereal a bit more sweet you can add maple syrup while cooking in addition to drizzle at the end.
- The cereal will be thick but please thin to your liking with additional water or milk.
- Remove from heat and serve with any desired toppings.