Today I was thinking about my mom. Been kinda missing home lately … it’s been ages since I visited California and I’m headed out there soon. Right around Mother’s Day in fact so was thinking… what kind of purrty thang would my mom like to eat on her day? And I came up with this babe… Almond Yogurt Chia Pitaya (dragon fruit) bowls.
Looking at the deep pigment of this bowl is a giveaway that it is loaded with antioxidants. Dragon fruit helps prevent cardiovascular disease, lowers cholesterol, aids in thyroid function, boosts metabolism, helps with digestion … I can go on and on. Nowadays, you can find the frozen puree packets in almost nearly natural grocer and asian markets definitely have the whole fruits.
I used almond milk based yogurt as the base for this but you could use any plant based yogurt, just make sure it has active probiotic function and isn’t loaded with sugar.
I discuss how rad chia is in this post.
SO go on… make this for the mama in your life (even if thats you) 🙂
- 3 tbs chia seeds
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 packet pitaya, dragonfruit, puree (frozen)
- 1/4 cup almond milk yogurt (or any plant based yogurt)
- 2 tsp crushed freeze dried raspberries
- 1 tsp crushed freeze dried blueberries (plus more for topping)
- 1 tbs maca (optional)
- Toppings: fresh berries, edible flowers, coconut....
- In a separate bowl, combine chia and almond milk and combine.
- Allow to thicken at least 15 mins, stirring once and up to 3 hours.
- Place thickened chia pudding, the almond yogurt, pitaya puree, the dried berries and optional maca in the bowl of a food processor and blitz until thick and combined.
- Serve and garnish with desired toppings.