I LOVE vegan flatbread and pizza. Give me dough, an amazing sauce and loads of vegetables and I’m a happy Bunny! My go-to sauce is a carrot stem pesto. In fact, I make this sauce weekly. I use it on anything from crackers to sandwiches to pasta! I love it. These flatbreads are perfect for a quick lunch or weeknight dinner but even appropriate for a sophisticated Spring party given how beautiful they are! Edible flowers are easy to find. Just make sure you’re buying or growing organic ones! I love nasturtiums the most… they lend a slightly pepper finish to the end of the bite.
Feel free to sub any spring vegetable or herb for this recipe and play around!
- 2 cups carrot leaves/stems, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked and drained
- 1/4 cup organic olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Store Bought Vegan Flatbreads/Pita rounds
- 6 large asparagus stems, shaved or thin sliced vertically
- handful of spring herbs and/or edible flowers (nasturtium, marigold, pansy)
- 2 tbs oil, reserved for finish
- sea salt flakes and pepper for finish
- Preheat the oven to 400'
- Make the pesto by combining all ingredients in a food processor and blitz until slightly chunky.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Assemble flatbreads by spreading equal amounts of pesto over each flatbread, placing asparagus on top.
- Bake in oven for 5-10 mins until crust is golden brown.
- Finish with sprinkling of fresh herbs and flowers, drizzle with oil and add salt and pepper to your liking.