I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again… Breakfast is my favorite. There’s no way I can function during the day without it. Now usually I do a smoothie bowl of sorts or a chia pudding situation then followed by avo-toast an hour or two later, but every once in awhile, my inner child comes out and I want pancakes. Like real deal with maple syrup pancakes. However, there’s usually an issue with that: eggs, sugar, dairy, white flour – this Bunny just says “no” to all those ingredients. So allow me to introduce to you the solution to that conundrum: this recipe.
I came up with this recipe when my BFF asked if I had a vegan pancake recipe so I played around a bit and got it right (me thinks). 🙂 Now, these baby cakes aren’t gonna be the light and fluffy kind loaded with dairy and sugar that you may be used to. These are a bit more dense and packed full of nutrients, a smidge of spice, and no refined sugar! Even better, they just happen to be gluten free so you won’t get any of that heavy flour belly bulge (hey there flat tummy!)
I intentionally chose to use an almond milk and an almond butter combo but feel free to sub for any other non dairy milk or nut butter. This batter can be made ahead and takes minutes to whip up.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 banana
- 1 date
- 2 tbs almond butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour *
- 1/2 cup coconut or almond flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs maple or date syrup
- *to make oat flour, just blitz gluten free rolled oats in a food processor until fine
- Place all ingredients in the order listed in a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Preheat non stick or slightly greased pan over low to medium heat.
- Place large dollops of batter onto preheated pans and cook until golden brown, approx. 3-4 mins/per side.
- Top with fruit, hemp seeds and real organic maple or date syrup!